Many companies make the common mistake of focusing their marketing materials exclusively on themselves. “We this,” “our that,” “we’re proud of this,” etc. While a certain amount of self-centeredness is appropriate, you’ve got to keep in mind that the readers don’t really care about you. They care about themselves. And they want to know exactly what your company is going to do for them.
Need some help making your marketing materials less focused on you and more focused on your reader? Give me a call. As your marketing writer I can assist you with all of your business’ writing needs.
|IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU
When writing the text for a website, brochure or other sales piece, you’ll get the best results if you stay focused on the reader’s needs. Why? Because nobody really cares about you. All potential customers want to know is “What’s in it for me?”
Same Information, Different Focus
Every page of your website or brochure (even the “About Us” page!) is another opportunity to show the reader how you are going to meet their needs. Yes, your marketing materials will be presenting a lot of information about you – but try to present this information so that it comes across as significant benefits for the reader.
Here are some “before and after” examples that demonstrate how messages can be reworded to make this happen:
- Company Focused: We carry the largest selection of annuals, perennials and herbs in the state.
- Reader Focused: To help you transform your yard into a garden paradise, XYZ Garden Center carries the largest selection of annuals, perennials and herbs in the state.
- Company Focused: We are committed to simplifying our members’ lives by providing personal assistance via the Internet and telephone.
- Reader Focused: Work with a company that respects the value of your time! With XYZ Company the personal assistance you expect is always just a phone call or email away.
- Company Focused: We are also a valuable resource for costume news and information through informative blog posts and social network discussions.
- Reader Focused: Stay on top of current costume industry news and information with our informative blog posts and social network discussions.
- Company Focused: We sell stylish, advertisement-free reusable grocery and tote bags.
- Reader Focused: Why pay for the privilege of being a walking billboard for your local store? Now you can get great-looking, long-lasting reusable bags without any advertisements at all!
CUSTOMER SPOTLIGHT: STORAGE VALET
Storage Valet is a convenient mobile storage service that takes the hassle out of putting things in storage. Storage containers are delivered directly to customer’s homes. After they’re loaded up Storage Valet comes back, picks up the containers and stores them in their secure indoor facility. Containers can later be redelivered anywhere in the country.
Storage Valet has developed a “no selling” fundraiser program. Take a look at the program’s personalized postcard and landing page that I helped them develop – and notice how the text is all about meeting the reader’s needs. (Note: on the landing page “Your School” is being used as a placeholder for the school’s actual name).