At the end of each of my food allergy books I have a “contact the author” page in which I tell my readers that I would love to hear from them. Even so, when readers email me with questions and feedback, they often seem shocked to get a response from the author herself – and especially surprised that I reply right away.
To me, answering my emails is an important way to “show up” and show my customers how much I value them. What are you doing to show up for your customers?
|DON'T FORGET TO SHOW UP
Woody Allen once said that “80% of success is showing up.” Or, as my brother used to say, “you snooze, you lose.” After all, it’s hard to catch the opportunities if you’re not there when they arise!
Where should you show up?
Don’t underestimate the importance of SEO (search engine optimization) in the virtual world, or the importance of meeting with people face-to-face in the physical world. You should show up wherever your clients are, such as…
- In online search results
- At business networking events
- In social media
- At trade shows
- When people reach out to you
How should you show up?
There’s more to “showing up” than just going through the motions or walking in the door. You need to:
- Show up fully. Be fully present – physically, mentally and emotionally. And when your business “shows up,” be sure that its presence is a positive reflection on your brand as well.
- Show up consistently. The old saying, “out of sight, out of mind” is very true. If you join a business networking group, plan to attend every meeting. If you put out a monthly newsletter, make sure it goes out once a month. And if you decide to participate in social media, remember that this takes more of a commitment than just logging in once a week.
- Show up positively. People do business with people and businesses that they like and trust. Be the type of positive person and business that others want to associate with.
The truth is, I often get business simply because I answer my phone and return emails promptly. Customers tell me, “I reached out to several copywriters, but you got the job because you’re the only one who immediately replied.” If you’re not showing up, you can bet your competitors are.
CUSTOMER SPOTLIGHT: TOPFORM DATA
Since 1976, Topform Data has had a single-minded focus on helping dental, orthodontic and medical practices thrive. They do this by providing high-quality forms, custom printing, promotional products, and expert marketing assistance. Topform’s products and services are all designed to help practices control costs, attract more patients and improve their bottom lines. In the e-commerce world Topform is “showing up” in a big way, with this extensive website which I wrote for them.